Windshield wipers take a beating in the winter with regular ice build-up, grimy road splatter and frequent swiping against the glass. Over time, the rubber and blades can deteriorate and perform poorly, reducing visibility on BC roads.
Ensure your safety this winter by maintaining your wiper blades with these tips from our Technicians at Skaha Ford’s Service Department:
1. Regularly inspect and clean the wipers: Look for signs of wear, like deteriorated rubber, rips and tears, and replace when required.
2. Top up the reservoir: Inspect the washer fluid level frequently and refill when necessary for effective wiper blade performance and to avoid scratches on the glass.
3. Turn off the wiper blade system: Preserve the life of the rubber by shutting off the wipers so that they don’t activate on the dry glass when the vehicle is turned on.
4. Clear ice and snow before turning on the wipers: Never use the wiper blades as a snow brush, as it can burn out the motor or cause the blades to arc.
5. Watch for signs of wear: When wipers leave a film on the glass, skip across the windshield or chatter and make noise, replace the worn blades with a fresh set.
Our Service Department recommends replacing wiper blades every six months. Schedule your appointment today with Skaha Ford in BC.